Ventura Trial Attorney
Call for Your Free 30 Minute Consultation

Criminal Defense FAQ

Ventura Criminal Attorney

Do you have questions about your case? Unsure of what steps to take after a criminal arrest? Our firm is here to provide helpful tips and guidance regarding these matters. We created this section to answer some of the most common questions our clients have. If you would like more information or would like to schedule a free consultation with a Ventura criminal defense attorney to discuss your case, contact us today.

Should I talk with police about my case?
While it is beneficial for you to share personal information and other required details with police to remain cooperative, you do have the right to remain silent on the matters surrounding your case. It is crucial that you exercise this right, even if you are completely innocent. Police may try to use information you gave them against you in court, hurting your defense overall.

What are my rights in a DUI stop?
If you have ever been pulled over for DUI, you know that it can be a nerve-wracking situation. The more you know about your rights in these types of stops, the better. While you do have the right to refuse to take a field sobriety test if you are over the age of 21, you can't refuse a chemical test without some penalties. You do have the right to ask the officer what you have been pulled over for, especially if you believe they do not have any reasonable cause.

What type of penalties am I facing?
The severity of the penalties you will be facing depend heavily on the type of crime you have been accused of. In most cases, jail time, fines, and probation will be included. For cases like DUI, you could have your license suspended and be required to have an ignition interlock device installed. Domestic violence cases may lead to required anger management or counseling classes.

If I plan on pleading guilty do I still need a lawyer?
Yes! Even if you believe the best option for your case is to plead guilty you should still have an attorney by your side at all times. Our criminal defense lawyer can argue to have your charges reduced or push for a plea bargain that offers a much lighter sentence.

Can I talk with my family and friends about my case?
Though it may be tempting to share with family and friends about the details of your case, it will not be beneficial in the long run. The more information you pass around, the more vulnerable your defense will be. Not only may that, but a family member or friend can be called upon to testify regarding what you told them.

What type of defenses can I use for my case?
Like penalties, the types of defenses a person uses will depend heavily on the type of charges they are facing and the severity of their crime. There are a variety of defenses available and a seasoned, proven attorney knows exactly which ones to utilize for your case. When you work with our legal team, we will make sure your defense is solid and will stand up against even the toughest prosecutor.

An officer treated me unfairly. Can I get the court to drop my case?
Whether or not you are able to get your charges dropped due to police misconduct or brutality will depend on if you can prove the mistreatment. Further, it will also affect your case if a police officer made the arrest in a way that violated your rights or used false testimony to secure your arrest. No matter the case, if you believe any type of police misconduct was involved in your situation, make sure you seek legal counsel right away.

The Stories that Matter

See What Our Previous Clients Have to Say
  • “Mr. Welch took care of all my worries and concerns while clearing my name through all the false accusations. I was more than happy with the outcome we were awarded”

    - James D.
  • “Mr. Welch communicated with us every step of the way, making us feel comfortable in his capable hands going through the worst situations our family has faced. We are forever grateful for his help, and can not recommend him enough. If you or a loved one are”

    - Lynette D.
  • “As an Attorney, he went above and beyond the call of duty to meet my legal needs. I recommend Mr. Welch for any legal counsel 100%. Chris will always reply to your messages or any questions right away and is very courteous and personable!”

    - Janet O.

Request Your Free Consultation Now

Fill out the following form or call (805) 467-6542 to get started.
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.