Ventura Trial AttorneyWinning Results
We are committed to getting the best possible resolution in your case.case results
We have the knowledge and skills you may need to win your case.Know Your rights
Our firm is here to provide helpful tips and guidance regarding these matters.See our faq
Ventura Underage DUI Lawyer
Defending Those Who Have Been Arrested For An Underage DUI in California
If you are under the age of 21, you may have been surprised to see that you can be charged with a DUI in California. While it may seem strange that someone who has not even reached the legal drinking age can be charged with a DUI, it is possible under the law. Depending on the circumstances of your case, you could be facing a misdemeanor or a felony charge. At the Law Office of Christopher P. Welch, we provide skilled legal representation to those facing such serious charges. If you or a loved one is facing underage DUI charges, it's essential to contact our Ventura underage DUI attorney as soon as possible.
Call the Law Office of Christopher P. Welch today at (805) 467-6542 or contact us online to schedule a consultation with our underage DUI attorney in Ventura.
Underage DUI Laws in California
In the state of California, the legal drinking age is 21, and there are very strict laws in place to deter underage drinking and driving. It is illegal for anyone under 21 to operate a motor vehicle with a blood alcohol concentration of 0.01% or higher.
Underage DUI laws also prohibit minors from driving with any measurable amount of alcohol in their system, with no need to prove impairment. This zero-tolerance approach means that even a single sip of alcohol can lead to an underage DUI charge.
What are the Penalties for an Underage DUI in California?
The punishments for an underage DUI conviction in California can have a lasting impact on your life. The severity of these consequences may differ depending on aspects such as prior convictions and the circumstances of your case. Here are some potential penalties for underage DUI:
- License Suspension: A first-time underage DUI conviction can result in a one-year license suspension. Subsequent convictions may lead to longer suspensions.
- Fines: Underage DUI offenders can face fines, which can be substantial, often reaching thousands of dollars.
- Probation: The court may impose probation, requiring you to comply with specific conditions such as attending DUI education programs or community service.
- Criminal Record: An underage DUI conviction can result in a criminal record, impacting your future employment, educational opportunities, and more.
- Increased Insurance Costs: Your auto insurance premiums are likely to increase significantly following a DUI conviction.
- Ignition Interlock Device: In some cases, the court may mandate the installation of an ignition interlock device on your vehicle, which measures your BAC before allowing you to start the vehicle.
- Potential Imprisonment: While rare for first-time offenders, subsequent underage DUI convictions can lead to jail time.
Defenses Against Underage DUI Charges
Some common defenses against underage DUI charges may include:
- Lack of Probable Cause: If law enforcement lacked a valid reason to stop your vehicle or administer a breathalyzer test, we may be able to challenge the arrest.
- Improper Testing Procedures: We can scrutinize the procedures followed during the administration of chemical tests to identify any errors or inaccuracies.
- Rising Blood Alcohol Content (BAC): Your BAC can rise between the time of the traffic stop and the chemical test. We can investigate this potential defense.
- Medical Conditions: Certain medical conditions can impact the accuracy of breathalyzer tests, and we can explore whether any such conditions may have impacted your results.
- Violation of Rights: If your constitutional rights had been violated during the arrest or testing process, we can challenge the evidence presented against you.
- Inaccurate Field Sobriety Tests: Field sobriety tests are subjective and can be challenged based on their reliability.
Contact Our Ventura Underage DUI Attorney Today
At the Law Office of Christopher P. Welch, we understand the complexities of the legal system and the potential consequences you face. Our goal is to minimize the impact of these charges on your life and future opportunities. Contact us today to schedule your consultation and take the first step towards defending your future. Your future is our priority, and our Ventura underage DUI lawyers are here to guide you through this challenging time.
Contact the Law Office of Christopher P. Welch today to get started with our Ventura underage DUI lawyer.
“Mr. Welch took care of all my worries and concerns while clearing my name through all the false accusations. I was more than happy with the outcome we were awarded”- James D.
“Mr. Welch communicated with us every step of the way, making us feel comfortable in his capable hands going through the worst situations our family has faced. We are forever grateful for his help, and can not recommend him enough. If you or a loved one are”- Lynette D.
“As an Attorney, he went above and beyond the call of duty to meet my legal needs. I recommend Mr. Welch for any legal counsel 100%. Chris will always reply to your messages or any questions right away and is very courteous and personable!”- Janet O.